August 18, 2012

My Epic: Desperate Future

This is my fourth essay (rather, short story. I'll call them short stories from now on). Inspired by various sources, such as Naughty Dog's survival-horror video game, The Last Of Us, hot TV Drama, The Walking Dead and other post-apocalyptic and zombie related works of art. Enough talk, let's cut to the chase...

DESPERATE FUTURE
MAY 2012


            It was a hot sweltering Tuesday afternoon as I entered the dilapidated general store. With everything that has been going on, the outbreak, the whole world in turmoil, how was I possibly sure that it was Tuesday? Why should I even care when there are more important things to worry about?
            Dead bodies. Those were the first things that I saw. Some were human, torn, battered and some were partially another creature, their faces resembled nothing of a normal human being and their bodies were contorted. I couldn't bear looking at them for another second. Instantly, I started to search for a first aid kit in the wreck of a store. Time was of the essence, so I had to be swift before those things showed up again. As I rummaged through the pile of useless things on the counter, something caught my eye, something pink, something fluffy, something conspicuously out of place. I pulled it out and held it in my palms, a dirty plush toy that must have belonged to a little child. I thought to myself, "Where could she be now? Could she have suffered the same horrible fate as these poor souls lying on the floor?" I couldn't let my emotions take control of me. I needed to find that first aid kit.
            As I continued my relentless search for the kit that would mean the life or death of my loved one, I heard a howl, not of a canine, but of a mutated being. The blood-curdling howl sent shivers through my spine. "Why can't you leave me alone for once?" I thought. There were more than one of them and I'm sure they have caught my scent. I pulled out my pistol from its holster, instantly letting go of the safety latch. Twelve rounds in the clip, let's just hope that there are less than a dozen of them.
            I saw a backdoor. I hurriedly made my way through the mess of debilitating, old groceries and I found myself in a dark alleyway. Those things were there, their elongated shadows loomed horridly, their distorted faces stared unflinchingly at me. They started to sprint towards me as I shot one of them twice. It crumpled to the ground, lifeless. The rest of 'them' stampeded on it to make their way to me, crushing its bones and pounding its rotten flesh. I ran like a bat out of hell and let out a few more shots towards them. Two, three, dead. But, there were more, there was always more.
            I ran through the deserted city streets, passing by defunct vehicles overgrown by the verdant greenery reclaiming this man-made concrete maze. I spotted a door at the side of a decrepit building. I ran straight for it and emptied the whole clip of my handgun at those things. As I entered the darkened building, I slammed the door and found myself trapped in a pitch-black room. Those things were still out there, banging on the door. I pulled out my trusty flashlight. I pointed it around the room, scanning for an escape route.
            Out of the blue, something human-sized pounced at me. In an instant, I was locked in close-quarters combat. In the dim glow of my flashlight, I could see that this creature was trying to gnaw at my throat. I held it back with one arm as I desperately searched for anything that I could use to fend off this thing. "A lead pipe, perfect. Let's see how you like this." I swung the pipe towards its head, knocking it away. I got to my feet and beat it into a pulp. It was a mess of sinews and shattered bones when I was done. Disgusted, I threw away the pipe. I picked up my flashlight and saw a first aid kit on an unkempt desk. There was an old door leading out to the haunted halls. God knows whatever was waiting for me out there. Now, I remember, I had to get back to my loved one, it's her birthday, this particular Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment